My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://karensopinion.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 20, 2007

HP Money Maker

On Saturday I decided it was time to call Hewlett Packard and find out why the screen on my laptop is not giving me a clear picture. I hate to give up my laptop so I was putting off doing anything about the problem. When the screen started to fade, I thought it was time. I called HP since it is under the manufacturer’s warranty. I have only had the laptop since January 2007. After taking me through 45 minutes worth of tests, the technician was transferring me to the service department where I would be issued a box to return the laptop. We got DISCONNECTED! Grrr. I called back and, of course, they couldn't connect me to the same technician. I thought I was going to have to start all over. I was using minutes on my cell phone. However, this technician had me hook up my desktop computer monitor to my laptop and tell him how the picture looked. It looked great. He said ok and got the information to send me a box. He said that when I sent in my laptop to not expect it back for a few months. Then he proceeded to tell me that if I paid $139.99 to get another year added to the manufacturer’s warranty on my laptop, I would get my laptop back in 9 to 10 days. Does this sound right? I paid the $139.99 because I like to sit in the family room and use my laptop. I don't want to be stuck at my desktop computer for two months. Has anyone had this same experience? After the first year manufacturer's warranty expires I have the warranty that I bought when I purchased the laptop. I didn't need the second year manufacturer's warranty.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's a scam. That's like saying "yes, you have a warranty, but we're going to hold your computer hostage unless you pay us even more money". But, I also hate being without my laptop!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like blackmail... Does HP always tread their clients that way?

Anonymous said...

I work for HP Total Care and what you are describing does not sound right. Could you please share your case number (usually starts with a 7) and I will have someone contact you that can figure out what happened.