My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://karensopinion.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, April 20, 2007

What did You Say?

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to ruffle feathers with words? On the Internet it is especially easy to come across in the wrong way because people can't look at our faces and be able to judge whether we are being sarcastic, rude or just plain mean. Meaning of a word can be taken wrong. If someone told you that they thought the paper you wrote was the next Jaws movie, what would you think they meant? Would it mean that they thought the paper was so great that it would be as popular as the movie Jaws? Or did they mean it was so bad it should be shredded? Vocabulary influences how others perceive you. When you say, "I seen the car go by," it lowers the listeners opinion of you because you are using seen in the wrong context. When you spell there instead of their when talking about something that belongs to someone, it looks like you don't know how to use the proper word. Or that you are hurrying and misspell things like I do! In everyday conversation I try to overlook poor grammar because I for one am not perfect. I am not even close! When it comes to applying for a job or being interviewed, I would be sure to take my time to spell correctly. In an interview I would pause long enough to double check what I was going to say to make a good impression.

0 comments: