My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://karensopinion.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Good Coffee Doesn't Just Happen

My sister loves coffee. In fact, her blog is called The Coffee House. She swears by Green Mountain coffee and likes several different specialty flavors.

After a hundred years of making coffee, my hubby tells me that my coffee is too strong. It only took him 10 years to tell me he didn't really like my tuna casserole. I wonder if we need counseling?

I have reduced the amount of grounds I put in the coffee maker. We shall see.

I happened upon a link to The Coffee Fool. They have some interesting things to say about what makes a good cup of coffee. Here is a synopsis:

Nearly all of the coffee out there is stale. The good news is that stale coffee is drinkable if you've never had truly fresh coffee. The bad news is that once you've tasted truly fresh coffee, you'll be forever hooked. It will make you giddy every time you go to make a pot. Tingle right down to your toes. Reverberate around your head like a funky aura. That's because coffee, just a few days out of the roaster, is nature's most flavorful drink - more complex than even wine - containing well over 900 flavor compounds to dance on your taste buds. But after a few weeks, you'd be lucky to see half that number.

How do you know if coffee is stale? Simple test: If it's bitter or flat, it's too late. Coffee is actually known by connoisseurs as a 'sweet' beverage. But shush... you're not supposed to know that. And who doesn't want you to know? Coffee companies who make their living on convenience. And yes, believing that freshness is as simple as 'burping' air out of a coffee container, is convenient. Truly fresh coffee is a pain because you have to order it frequently.

This is not a paid post.

0 comments: